Skip to main content

Hassles and Achievements


Hannah's school had their awards assembly a couple of weeks ago. She got two awards for math and reading achievement. She wanted a perfect attendance one, but I kept her home several days before Christmas because she was sick. I told her not to worry about it, she could just try third term. Then, I go to walk her to school last week and the police were rushing to the school and a firetruck, so I kept her home until everything cleared out. I know enough from working in schools that they are just going to make the kids stand outside in the cold and that's what they did. Apparently there was a fire alarm and they resolved the issue. I took Hannah to school expecting that she would get a tardy, but the office people told me to just take her class, so I guess we are still in the running!


When Hannah is not at school she spends most of her dressed as Batman playing with legos. The five-pound weight in the background is for her to become strong. She also got glasses over Martin Luther King, Jr. break, but that has been a lot of drama. She told me she still couldn't see so I took her to the Eyecare place and asked to see a different doctor. The new doctor told me that the old doctor had only given her 1/3 of her prescription. I guess in some circles that is considered a good thing because kids need time to get used to the extra power, but Hannah's eyes were +3.5 in one eye and so 1/3 of the power wasn't anywhere near what she needed. Plus, that doctor should have told me that or better still, let me help make the decision since it was my kid and my money. Instead, he just acted like he was giving her an accurate prescription and if I hadn't believed Hannah, she would have been sitting there in glasses (for a year!) that were not helping her. Once we got it, we took the actual prescription back to the eyeglass place and they fixed the lenses in one of her pairs, but now those hurt her ear, so we have to get that fixed when we go back to get the new lenses in the other pair. She is getting used having to put them on and people have been good to her about them, but man, so much more hassle than it should have been.


In other news, I received the copyright for my doctoral dissertation from the Library of Congress.

And then I was assigned to teach my graduate class in one of the oldest buildings on campus and it is science room with some science equipment and so they lock it all the time. So fine. Give me a key. I went to the key shop and they made me one and I brought it back to try, but low, there are actually two locks. We finally got that sorted out. Stuff like that makes me crazy because it takes up so much time (like Hannah's glasses nonsense) for nothing. And it would be easy to clear up early if people would just think give me accurate information from the get-go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Year-Long January

The joke is that January is the longest month of the year. I thought it went quickly. Classes started and winter cold set in. We went to the eye doctor and Hannah waited for the doctor so long, she grew a beard.  Ultimately she decided on glasses that would make her look like Supergirl. I think she really pulled it off. All month I was on pins and needles about the government shutdown trying to decide if it was safe to fly to a conference. Luckily for me, the poor TSA workers and federal folks were able to get back to work. However, the planes I took (4 in all) were mostly empty and I got a row to myself. There was also a polar vortex that didn't help air travel looks appealing. I got there late at night and the room they had left was a large hotel suite. I took it. My colleague Michael Dunn and I divided our presentation up. We both did well. I also found a few good folks from Kansas. Then, I left Indy. When I wasn't worki...

Wrapping up the Year (and Decade)

Christmas was nice. The weather was good and I was able to run like I usually do. I served a Thanksgiving Dinner because I spent Thanksgiving in Pennsylvania with my sister. It has been a busy decade. I only have two years where something major didn't happen. On to 2020. My list of Big stuff for the last decade. 2010—Finished Master’s degree 2011—Published Master’s degree as book 2011—Daughter born 2012—Book won award 2013—Moved to KS for PhD program (January) 2014— 2015—Published second book 2016—Finished PhD program (August) 2017—Moved to Albuquerque for faculty position 2018— 2019—Submitted mid-probationary dossier

Bygone April

 We decorated for Easter in April. Low key, but cute. Hannah helped make some of them. She even did this painting of the eggs.   And the ceramic ornament in the little house. After Easter I went to Toronto for AERA.   After AERA Easter came. We went to the annual Easter egg hunt.  And colored our own eggs.  And went to church. At the end of the month, we visited my parents in Utah, traveling by plane. It was sunny one of the days and cloudy and rainy the rest, but the visit was nice.  And that was April.