When we moved here my oven quit working almost immediately so we when out to find something
inexpensive to replace it with and the cheapest thing was an open box
induction oven. It was supposed to be thousands of dollars because
induction technology is expensive, but you have to learn to cook
differently because the food heats very quickly. We ended up getting it
for a few hundred dollars because it had been bought and returned three
times. What I really like about it is that it is safer to let Hannah
cook with me. The food gets hot but the oven doesn't--not hot enough to
burn anyway and the burners only heat the food too. The pans don't get
very hot and the burner kicks off if they sense something other an stainless
steel. So anyway, I think its funny that they advertise induction on television by saying that it boils water in 90 seconds (which is cool, but you have to get used to cooking under those conditions) when they should be saying that it is safer and uses almost no electricity. It cost 87 cents for 6 hours of oven time to cook the food.
Thus, on Wednesday, Hannah and I made the pies together. She likes to get a chair and help me dump the ingredients into the Kitchen Aid mixer and then we rolled out the crust and tucked it into pans. I had a little too much pumpkin filling and so I let her make her own crust too. She was so delighted to have her "own" pie. She likes to watch things bake in the oven and I even got enlisted to sit with her for part of the time.
She told everyone she saw all day on Wednesday--from family that called to strangers at Target--that she made a pie. When we got home from the store she had climbed up on the stove and assaulted it.
I asked her if she liked the pie and she said yes, so I said that if she wanted a piece we should cut one and eat it off a plate. So she climbed in her chair and had a small square with whipped cream. She finished the last of her pie today at lunch.
We ate Thanksgiving dinner this year as the three of us. For many years, Brian and I ate by ourselves so we are used to small numbers. We had a 17 pound turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, homemade rolls, asparagus, grape tomatoes, homemade pumpkin pie, and homemade raspberry cheesecake with chocolate sauce.
Today we got out the Christmas decor and took stock of what had broken in the move. We did lose a few things, I am sad to report, but most of the items are fine. Hannah liked carting around all of the stuff and hiding in and around the boxes.
Thus, on Wednesday, Hannah and I made the pies together. She likes to get a chair and help me dump the ingredients into the Kitchen Aid mixer and then we rolled out the crust and tucked it into pans. I had a little too much pumpkin filling and so I let her make her own crust too. She was so delighted to have her "own" pie. She likes to watch things bake in the oven and I even got enlisted to sit with her for part of the time.
She told everyone she saw all day on Wednesday--from family that called to strangers at Target--that she made a pie. When we got home from the store she had climbed up on the stove and assaulted it.
I asked her if she liked the pie and she said yes, so I said that if she wanted a piece we should cut one and eat it off a plate. So she climbed in her chair and had a small square with whipped cream. She finished the last of her pie today at lunch.
We ate Thanksgiving dinner this year as the three of us. For many years, Brian and I ate by ourselves so we are used to small numbers. We had a 17 pound turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, homemade rolls, asparagus, grape tomatoes, homemade pumpkin pie, and homemade raspberry cheesecake with chocolate sauce.
Today we got out the Christmas decor and took stock of what had broken in the move. We did lose a few things, I am sad to report, but most of the items are fine. Hannah liked carting around all of the stuff and hiding in and around the boxes.

Comments