Skip to main content

The Semester Begins ...

So Christmas Break was not very interesting after I got sick. I mostly laid in bed watching Downton Abbey seasons 1-4. When I finally did get better, I went to Utah. The purpose of my trip was to work on a project with a professor at a university there. Brian and Hannah remained in Kansas. When I came home the garage was clean, the house was in good shape, and my child was bathed and fed, so they must have been busy while I was away. 

I taught junior high in Utah for about 10 years. People always congratulate me for being brave and tough to teach adolescents, especially middle level ones, but I really had fun doing it. There were times that were hard, but in general, it was great. I left teaching so I could pursue doctoral work because it was a goal I had for a long time that was incompatible with classroom teaching. If you just want a PhD attached to your name, there are programs you can do where you can do class online or at night, but if you really want to participate in training for intensive research, then you have to go to an institution and spend long hours and days there taking classes, doing projects, and building networks, which requires your fullest possible attention.  

The good news is that when I return to Utah, there are always so many people to see. I arrived at 7 a.m. after a night of no sleep and went to breakfast with friends. Then I worked all day at the professor's house where I was staying with her family. At night, I went to dinner with a former student and his fiancé. They will marry in about a week. 


The next day I went to church with my former fellow parishioners. I received a very warm welcome. For dinner, I ate with a former student and his wife and new baby.



The next day I got up early and worked again until the afternoon. Then I went to meet a former student at the library, which was closed for Martin Luther King Day. We found a coffee shop across the street and chatted a bit. Unfortunately I did not end up taking a picture with him. Then I went back to Kansas. I always wish I could spend more time with more people when I go. Luckily I am planning a trip in the summertime where I get to stay longer.

Although I only require one more class for graduation, I am taking three. It is a testament to my relentless pursuit of education--maybe my lack of sanity. I also have some interesting research work at the center where I work. I am writing a paper with another graduate student in TESOL and doing some things with the Special Education and English people at KU, so I am getting a broad range of experiences. Brian has two classes. Hannah goes to the babysitter only once a week this semester, which is nice. I programmed my schedule into my phone this semester to try to get my weekly rhythm down faster and we will see if it works. 

Comments

Looks like you had a tiring but fun trip! Glad all was well and clean when you returned. Can't believe you have students now married...
and with children. Time flies...

Popular posts from this blog

The Year-Long January

The joke is that January is the longest month of the year. I thought it went quickly. Classes started and winter cold set in. We went to the eye doctor and Hannah waited for the doctor so long, she grew a beard.  Ultimately she decided on glasses that would make her look like Supergirl. I think she really pulled it off. All month I was on pins and needles about the government shutdown trying to decide if it was safe to fly to a conference. Luckily for me, the poor TSA workers and federal folks were able to get back to work. However, the planes I took (4 in all) were mostly empty and I got a row to myself. There was also a polar vortex that didn't help air travel looks appealing. I got there late at night and the room they had left was a large hotel suite. I took it. My colleague Michael Dunn and I divided our presentation up. We both did well. I also found a few good folks from Kansas. Then, I left Indy. When I wasn't worki...

Wrapping up the Year (and Decade)

Christmas was nice. The weather was good and I was able to run like I usually do. I served a Thanksgiving Dinner because I spent Thanksgiving in Pennsylvania with my sister. It has been a busy decade. I only have two years where something major didn't happen. On to 2020. My list of Big stuff for the last decade. 2010—Finished Master’s degree 2011—Published Master’s degree as book 2011—Daughter born 2012—Book won award 2013—Moved to KS for PhD program (January) 2014— 2015—Published second book 2016—Finished PhD program (August) 2017—Moved to Albuquerque for faculty position 2018— 2019—Submitted mid-probationary dossier

Bygone April

 We decorated for Easter in April. Low key, but cute. Hannah helped make some of them. She even did this painting of the eggs.   And the ceramic ornament in the little house. After Easter I went to Toronto for AERA.   After AERA Easter came. We went to the annual Easter egg hunt.  And colored our own eggs.  And went to church. At the end of the month, we visited my parents in Utah, traveling by plane. It was sunny one of the days and cloudy and rainy the rest, but the visit was nice.  And that was April.