I have done most of my academic conferencing this year by myself, but if you read last week's post, I did bring Hannah to Atlanta and I did bring her to Nashville to the annual meeting of the Literacy Research Association. We drove for almost 10 hours each way. On the way, we stopped at 1 a.m. in Metropolis, Illinois, which has made a name for itself as a place where Superman fans can explore. I didn't get any further than the gas station. Here is me having a wonder woman moment. I think I identified with this most because if you look at the bottom, one of her boots is gone. So there she is in all of her glory -- but not quite.
The next day we were able to a little exploring after sessions. We looked (in vain) for the grave of James K. Polk. We did find several other statues on the state capital premises of people we didn't know about before.
And we did find a large holiday tree.
After the conference on Friday, we went to Andrew Jackson's home, which he named Hermitage. It is outside Nashville in a town aptly named "Old Hickory." By the visitor's center, there is a cardboard where you can out yourself on the 20 dollar bill. Now who can resist doing that?
Before rolling out of town, we went down to Centennial Park and saw the Parthenon. We did go inside technically, but there was not time to go through the museum. It was pretty cool though to see, and we got a legendarily close parking spot because of the Christmas parade attracting most of the attention downtown.
We liked the Vanderbilt area of Nashville and I learned a lot at the conference. But this is my last trip this year. Good thing, seeing that it is December 4. I only have three professional travel engagements next year and I have vowed not to let it grow ...





Comments