This year I had one pre-conference presentation and one large group presentation, two small group presentations, and a recognition session for emerging scholars. We flew to Philadelphia on Monday night and by Tuesday morning Hannah was a little sick. By Wednesday evening she was very sick. She had a fever, complete with sweating, mild dehydration, vomiting, and thick throat mucous. Since she is 2 there are not over the counter remedies in abundance that she can have safely, but I was able to give her Tylanol/Advil combinations to keep her fever from getting to high. Brian and I traded places staying in the hotel room with her while the other went to sessions. I had planned to leave her in daycare for a few hours each day, but I decided not to leave her there sick and I would hope they would have refused to take her anyway. The hotel staff became irritated with my constant insistence on deeper cleanings, new bedding, and more towels to prevent spreading what she had to us.
Brian seemed to think that she got sick from the plane ride, but the timeline is better for her to have contracted something on Sunday while at nursery class at church. She slept and watched mickey mouse cartoons on YouTube for the better part of the trip. I took her out on Sunday to get her something to eat while Brian was gone. We ended up with an ice cream cone. She drank lots of milk, water, and juice and ate goldfish and potato chips while convalescing. By the time we were slated to come home on the next Monday, she was doing much better. She still has froggy throat, but she is not in pain and her other symptoms have subsided. Hannah has been very sick twice this season and I hope with spring weather, this is her last.
Before Hannah took ill, we got this great picture of her with Brian in front of Constitution Hall.
Here is the nation's first hospital. We were glad that we didn't have to go see it from the inside ...
So that is AERA. We will see if I make it full circle when Chicago hosts the conference in 2015.
Brian seemed to think that she got sick from the plane ride, but the timeline is better for her to have contracted something on Sunday while at nursery class at church. She slept and watched mickey mouse cartoons on YouTube for the better part of the trip. I took her out on Sunday to get her something to eat while Brian was gone. We ended up with an ice cream cone. She drank lots of milk, water, and juice and ate goldfish and potato chips while convalescing. By the time we were slated to come home on the next Monday, she was doing much better. She still has froggy throat, but she is not in pain and her other symptoms have subsided. Hannah has been very sick twice this season and I hope with spring weather, this is her last.
Before Hannah took ill, we got this great picture of her with Brian in front of Constitution Hall.
Here is the nation's first hospital. We were glad that we didn't have to go see it from the inside ...
Here she is chillin' with her dad in the room.
This is towards the end of the trip. This was taken in Christ's church in Philadelphia. My ancestor (Benjamin Rush) was a member of this church. According to several sources, he sat either in pew 57 or 59. We are standing between them.The historian at the church said that Benjamin Rush's descendants visit the church more than any of the other founding fathers from the area, including Benjamin Franklin. You can see that compared to her picture at the beginning of the week with Brian, she is much more somber.

Comments