We made a weekend trip to Lafayette/Indianapolis, Indiana this past weekend. We left about 11 a.m. on Friday morning with our Pringles chips, grapes, and 7-grain Kashi crackers for snacking. Hannah rode very patiently playing with her dog and drinking her milk for about the first hour and half and then she wanted to know if we were in Indianapolis yet. I had been telling her that we were going there and she was very excited, responding "Oh yes, I love apples." Get it. IndianAPPLEis?
Anyway, it was about time for lunch so we stopped somewhere in Missouri and ate. Then we continued on to Hannibal, Missouri for our gas stop. Hannah played with my iPad during this phase of the trip. She likes listening to music and playing a drawing game. She also likes reading books from my Kindle app.
After the fuel stop, we drove into Illinois. Hannah napped during this leg. We stopped for dinner close to Decatur. While there, we discovered that I hadn't packed any pants for Hannah. They were being washed when I packed and I forget to add them before we left. So I ran across a highway to get to a Wal-mart and bought her two pairs of black leggings. Then I ran back across the highway so that I could get her some more milk from a Walgreens. Then I ran back to the car where Brian had been calling me. He didn't realize when I said I need to run to Wal-mart, I was really going to run.
Just before we made our last major road change to get to my sister's house, we were lead off the freeway by an emergency pilot vehicle. Later we learned that a cat food truck had tipped over on the freeway and they were still scooping it up. So we took a long detour through rural Indiana in the twilight trying to figure out where we were. Eventually we wound our way to highway 25 and we got to Lori's house only about 35-40 minutes later than we planned.
A little after 6 a.m. EDT on Saturday we got everyone up, piled into our respective vehicles and went to Indianapolis for the Color Run 2014. Lori had contacted me several months earlier and wanted to know if we would come and do this with them. We were glad to sign on.
Lori and I ran the race and Brian and Cody pushed strollers with our combined brood of four children ranging from age 7 to about 9 months. As we ran/walked/rode, we were doused with color--hence the name Color Run. Most of the people, from what we could ascertain, came for the music and to play in the color, not to run so Lori and I looked like speed demons passing people all the way to the finish line. We finished in 28:41, but we would have been faster if a group of silly adolescents hadn't dropped to the ground right in front of us to roll in the blue cornstarch. We dodged them, but it cost us time. When we were done, we went to find a vantage point when we could see the men and our children. As they approached, we joined them. I took Hannah out of the stroller and let her run a bit. She took off like a deer and ran right off of the course. Her cousin followed her, and I caught up with them while the men and the remaining kids made their big finish.
After the race we had lunch in Indianapolis and then went to the Benjamin Harrison mansion and historical site. The children were well-behaved in this place where they weren't supposed to touch things and they were tired from getting up early and running. Then we went back to Lafayette and saw the battlefield at Tippecanoe. When we arrived back at the Short's house, we took turns napping, bathing, and supervising children. We had a good dinner at Steak 'n Shake (the official restaurant of Short/Rice gatherings) and then went home to more napping, visiting, and playing.
Sunday was spent in morning church services and then we packed up and left in the early afternoon. We had leftovers for lunch while driving and so we only stopped in Hannibal for fuel. We played at the park they have in Hannibal that runs along the Mississippi River because Hannah had become antsy in the car. After our break, she played with the iPad and then slipped in and out of consciousness until we arrived home. We were driving home from the grocery store today and Hannah asked if she could go back and visit her cousins. Good times.
Rather than try to embed the narrative into the pictures, I am opting to give the text first and then show some pictures last. Maybe by now, readers will wish they had just skipped to the end.
Anyway, it was about time for lunch so we stopped somewhere in Missouri and ate. Then we continued on to Hannibal, Missouri for our gas stop. Hannah played with my iPad during this phase of the trip. She likes listening to music and playing a drawing game. She also likes reading books from my Kindle app.
After the fuel stop, we drove into Illinois. Hannah napped during this leg. We stopped for dinner close to Decatur. While there, we discovered that I hadn't packed any pants for Hannah. They were being washed when I packed and I forget to add them before we left. So I ran across a highway to get to a Wal-mart and bought her two pairs of black leggings. Then I ran back across the highway so that I could get her some more milk from a Walgreens. Then I ran back to the car where Brian had been calling me. He didn't realize when I said I need to run to Wal-mart, I was really going to run.
Just before we made our last major road change to get to my sister's house, we were lead off the freeway by an emergency pilot vehicle. Later we learned that a cat food truck had tipped over on the freeway and they were still scooping it up. So we took a long detour through rural Indiana in the twilight trying to figure out where we were. Eventually we wound our way to highway 25 and we got to Lori's house only about 35-40 minutes later than we planned.
A little after 6 a.m. EDT on Saturday we got everyone up, piled into our respective vehicles and went to Indianapolis for the Color Run 2014. Lori had contacted me several months earlier and wanted to know if we would come and do this with them. We were glad to sign on.
Lori and I ran the race and Brian and Cody pushed strollers with our combined brood of four children ranging from age 7 to about 9 months. As we ran/walked/rode, we were doused with color--hence the name Color Run. Most of the people, from what we could ascertain, came for the music and to play in the color, not to run so Lori and I looked like speed demons passing people all the way to the finish line. We finished in 28:41, but we would have been faster if a group of silly adolescents hadn't dropped to the ground right in front of us to roll in the blue cornstarch. We dodged them, but it cost us time. When we were done, we went to find a vantage point when we could see the men and our children. As they approached, we joined them. I took Hannah out of the stroller and let her run a bit. She took off like a deer and ran right off of the course. Her cousin followed her, and I caught up with them while the men and the remaining kids made their big finish.
After the race we had lunch in Indianapolis and then went to the Benjamin Harrison mansion and historical site. The children were well-behaved in this place where they weren't supposed to touch things and they were tired from getting up early and running. Then we went back to Lafayette and saw the battlefield at Tippecanoe. When we arrived back at the Short's house, we took turns napping, bathing, and supervising children. We had a good dinner at Steak 'n Shake (the official restaurant of Short/Rice gatherings) and then went home to more napping, visiting, and playing.
Sunday was spent in morning church services and then we packed up and left in the early afternoon. We had leftovers for lunch while driving and so we only stopped in Hannibal for fuel. We played at the park they have in Hannibal that runs along the Mississippi River because Hannah had become antsy in the car. After our break, she played with the iPad and then slipped in and out of consciousness until we arrived home. We were driving home from the grocery store today and Hannah asked if she could go back and visit her cousins. Good times.
Rather than try to embed the narrative into the pictures, I am opting to give the text first and then show some pictures last. Maybe by now, readers will wish they had just skipped to the end.






Comments