On Wednesday after one of my classes, I went to the airport and flew to Utah. My master's thesis adviser won the Benjamin Cluff, Jr. Award for Educational Research and I wanted to support her. The ceremony was on Thursday with a special luncheon and then I did some homework. In the evening I went to visit a student in Springville who had just returned from the Ukraine. His brother was also recently returned from a sojourn to South America. After our visit I was able to go and see another student and play with his baby before meeting some friends at Denny's for a 10p.m. dinner. The next day I flew home. My plane landed at 5 p.m. and then I met my research partner at 6:30p.m. to write a paper for a class we are taking together. Finally, I met Brian and Hannah for dinner around 8:30p.m. While I was gone, Hannah wrote me this letter.

This letter says "Dear Mommy, you have to come home so that we can get ice cream and so that we can go eat. Please come home. Thank you, Hannah." After we got home from doing just that on Friday evening, we made some very good chocolate chip cookies together.

On Saturday I went up to the university to help some friends with an abstract for a conference proposal and then I passed by the salon I usually go to and I saw that no one was there so I stopped for a haircut. Then I went home and made lunch. After that we all went grocery shopping. When we got home and the food was put away I saw that I had a message on my phone to teach the Hannah's primary class. I said I would but I needed to know the time schedule. Then I got another message saying someone else would do it. I said okay, but I have a plan and I can do the lesson if someone will give me some basic information. I went over to my friend's house because she was having a party and I wanted to make an appearance. I stayed about 45 minutes. Then I got another message that I should teach the lesson. So I had my teenage Sunday School students plan the primary lesson and then teach it to the kids. They did a good job. Brian sat with Hannah's class while they went to sing. Then I came back and we did some cutting and gluing. The picture above is Hannah's project. She did a commendable job with the glue. I have determined to buy some more glue sticks.
So that's how we roll at the Rice house. This week I have seven meetings, three classes to go to, my oral comprehensive exams, 20 work hours to get in, and an panel presentation to manage for a conference in April. I will survive.
Comments